Sunday, January 6, 2013

a fiction and a non

Happy Sunday to ya! I hope you'll step out of your wonderful world of whatever Reader you use and take a peak at the new look. Fran hooked me up with a lovely new design and I think it's pretty cute. She's wonderful to work with!

Today I thought I'd mention some books I've read lately that I enjoyed. These won't count toward my goal of 35 books in 52 weeks because I finished them before the New Year. Still, they're noteworthy if you're looking for something to read right now.
This book was recommended to me by an ole college pal and I loved it! It was right up my alley with a splash of psychology, a dash of suspense, and a bit of a love story. Don't let the cover or title fool ya- I didn't get the "chick lit" vibe as I read this.
I really liked this one, too. It's full of info about how children learn and how we as a society have gravitated toward pushing our young ones to study, study, study! The authors write about how that's not necessary to development and give examples as to how you can teach your child by playing with him or her without all the fancy toys, music lessons or flash cards. Time spent with a child in conversation and play outweighs the time he or she has trying to pack in various cultural activities that are likely creating pressure to perform. It's food for thought, anyway...

Have you set any reading goals for this year?





11 comments:

Kristin said...

Thank you for reminding me that I need to keep track of what I read this year! Chick lit is not my thing, so I should probably put that book on my list.

Jenn said...

I am very interested in "Einstein never used flashcards" I totally believe that playing is learning. When kids have fun they will learn far more than any chalk and talk method.

Jen said...

I love the new look, it's awesome!!! :) I haven't set reading goals but to my surprise I have already finished 3 books this year already. :)

Jenn said...

Love your new look. I can't stand using a reader because everyone nowadays has such cute pages! Also, I have a goal to read zero books this year. (Hey, I figure I shouldn't set myself up to fail.)

Chantal said...

Love the new look! I got a new look too, this weekend! And those books both look interesting.

Becca said...

Also love this new look! I have heard good things about both of these books as well. I am so behind on my book pile it is not even funny.

Amber Nicole said...

I'm loving your new bloggy look!

#mommylife said...

love the new title and layout! :)

Kathryn B said...

LOVE the new look!!! My reading goal is to read the book for my book club before we meet. That might be pushing it, but I love to read and need to make more time to do so :)

Sarah said...

I looove your new look! Your picture up at the top is so pretty too. :) I'd seen the Einstein book around somewhere and wanted to read it but totally forgot about it until now. I figure it's a good idea to educate myself before I have children. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I just started following you on twitter :) I'm @EMBRACEITMYWAY

I'm trying to organize the blogs I'm following because I want to read them more on a regular basis this year!!

Happy New Year!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings