Thursday, January 17, 2013

Postpartum "Secrets"

Many of you have asked me to share my "secrets" as to how I got the baby weight off so quickly. Others have mentioned me working out with them to show them my "routine." I'm flattered, really...but I still have a long way to go. I mean...y'all haven't seen me naked. I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be, but I'm so happy with all these endorphins floating around. I feel good and that makes all the difference in the world. I feel my body changing each week. I see the baby pooch getting smaller and smaller. Honestly, I feel like a million bucks most of the time.
There's still the lingering doubt when I look in the mirror. I've talked about my insecurities with my body many times--that hasn't gone away. I think that's why I feel the need to document some of my workouts with photos because I like seeing the difference. I enjoy having a reference to look back on and see how far I've come. In photos, I don't always see the fat girl that looks back at me in the mirror. I see the fit (ish) postpartum woman that I am.
As far as secrets go, I don't have any. What I do have is a list of things I think are important factors in losing this weight and getting back into shape after baby:

1. Breastfeed! Do what is best for you and your baby (of course- who am I to judge!), but as far as burning calories goes, you can't beat it. I heard somewhere (it's on the Internet so it must be true!) that nursing can burn up to an extra 500 calories a day.

2. Water - Drink it constantly.

3. Exercise- When you're cleared for exercise (ahem...I still haven't done that yet!), get moving immediately. You likely won't be able to jump back into a vigorous routine; start off slow if you'd like...as long as you're moving. I've always found it best to mix up my routines quite a bit. If you go to spin class 3 days a week for an hour at a time, eventually your body will be used to that and you won't be making progress. It's important to keep your body guessing. Put your body in different scenarios, push yourself to try new exercises/classes/routines. Might I suggest trying Bob's Inside Out Method? (Yesterday, Bob tweeted that the DVDs were on sale for $3.99 a piece! There are four of them.) I've done that. I've also consulted my Pinterest Board "Work It, Girl" for more ideas. Bike riding and hitting the treadmill have also been beneficial for me.

4. Make time for yourself. Believe me, sister. I know it's hard when there are multiple kids around and no husband to be found. At first it really sucks to give up what little free time you have over to exercise...but then something happens and you begin to crave that workout. It will make you feel better. On Biggest Loser this week, one of the trainers told a contestant to "fall in love with the gym." That's what I'm talking about! Except I still love chocolate equally so obviously I'm still working on this.


I hope this helps. Believe me when I say, I still have a really long way to go. I have at least 10 more lbs to lose, but doing the four things I mentioned above has gotten me to where I'm at right now. And before you say I just have good genes- that's not true. It took me much longer to bounce back from having Cray K. In fact, I still wasn't completely back to my pre-pregnancy weight before I was pregnant again with Baby A.

Slowly but surely I'm beginning to see muscle definition again. Maybe one day, I'll even have abs again! A girl can dream.

Any suggestions you would add to this list? Leave them in the comments!
(P.S.- You can follow my Fitness Journey pics on Instagram by searching for #mrskgetsfit )

8 comments:

Kate @ Daffodils said...

YOu look so good!

Joyewonder said...

You look HOTTTT!! Great tips (for the future ^_^)

Chantal said...

I agree!!

Another tip... eat well!

erika said...

I definitely agree with the breastfeeding. I think that and the sheer luck of genetics are the only reasons why I don't weigh 500 pounds now.

Jenn said...

Smokin' hot mama! I read in a Fitness magazine that breastfeeding is the equivalent of running 7 miles a day. So now that I'm stopping, I'd better kick it up a notch (or 12) in the running department. You look great you skinny minnie, and I don't know if you have fat toes or something but where are you going to lose ten pounds. Seriously.

;)

Mrs. Duh said...

Great post! You look phenomenal! It's hard to believe you had a baby not too long ago!

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely saving this for the future. I would never guess you just had a baby, you look amazing!

mrsgregwillis said...

You are so motivating! And I LOVE Bob, need to get that DVD to round out the Inside Out Method.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings