Friday, January 21, 2011

Greener Grass

Why does the grass always seem to be greener on the other side? I'm sure if I were in Alaska right now I would be longing for the tshirt weather we're experiencing here. I'm positive that I would be entirely sick of the snow and forty below temps. So tell me...


Why is it that as I sit here watching The Wild Within, my mind is drifting back to the place where J and I fell in love? There's something about that place. The beauty of Alaska is unlike any other place I've visited. I think life is supposed to be lived like that or mine is at least. You can drive for miles, hours and not see a single soul. You may not cross a single road. All that surrounds you is God's green earth (or white winter wonderland). That, my friends, is beautiful.



Spending time in the woods- hunting, camping, and fishing- changed me. Of course, I grew up camping and fishing, but doing it in Alaska is a whole different ball park than East Tennessee. Fishing, for sure, is a time for re-invention. Different fish, different rules call for different strategies. I enjoyed the excitement of hooking my first grayling and showing my Army man that I wasn't a total girly girl. Camping became a popular past-time  for us, too. Waking up to the freshest air I can imagine, beside the best friend I could imagine, and knowing that all we really have in a thousand mile radius is each other is something that changed me.




I don't want to move back to Fairbanks, but I would consider somewhere on the coast of Alaska in a heartbeat. I missed shopping, chain restaurants, and the instant gratification that cities can bring during our stay there. I would trade all that in, though for the modest cabin life Captain J and I once had. I miss it. Alaska, the place I said I would never want to go, has become a place that spoke to my soul. How could it not?




If you haven't visited Alaska, you should. Put it on your list. If it weren't for the Army, Baby, and wanting him/her to be around all the people we love, we'd be in Seward or Haines at the drop of a hat. I hope one day we can return to the place where we began-



6 comments:

paige said...

I'll go with you! I fell in love with it too. I love the freedom you feel just stepping outside on the porch. Its wonderful, and I would jump at the chance to go back and visit. I would love even more to live there with you guys and my niece/nephew. Love you!

Jenn said...

that literally brought a tear to my eye! you're an amazing writer.

Sarah Nicole said...

So excited for baby to get here! Hopefully you will enjoy Georgia as well! And visiting Alaska is definitely on my list of things to do!

Mrs. K said...

aww, you're too kind Mrs. Jenn

Mrs. K said...

Mom would be distraught if we both left! That would be fun, though wouldn't it? We could kidnap her and bring her, too. I'm so glad you got to visit while we were there. Love and miss you!

Mrs. K said...

good! I'm excited for baby, too. It's going to be a long six months. lol

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings