Friday, January 28, 2011

Innocence


"If my heart can become pure and simple,
like that of a child, I think there probably
can be no greater happiness than this."
- Kitaro Nishid



One of the joys of motherhood that I simply cannot wait for is hearing the silly, thoughtful, and/or hilarious comments that might escape my child's lips. Aren't kids so funny? I can think of so many stories that have happened just recently that make me giggle. Even the word "story" has one all its own.

Our first Army social here at Ft. Benning was a few weeks ago. I wasn't particularly looking forward to it as I'm not the most social person on the planet (far from it). I nervously walked around, weaving myself around a bunch of dudes respectable young men in khakis and ties. Out of the various women there adorning their soldiers' arms, I knew none of them were likely to come talk to me. I don't know anyone in this town, as you may know. Little did I know that it would be a small child, sweetly matching her little sister who would bring me out of my shell.

We began chatting as her father nervously looked over at us, afraid she might say something embarrassing. He mouthed, "Sorry" more than a few times, but I didn't mind. She was fascinating to talk to. I began answering one of the (many) questions she had for me when I started off with, "wow, that is quite a story!" Slightly confused, she replied, "No, it's TRUE!" Her mother leaned over at this point and reminded her that "stories" weren't limited to fiction. It made me smile, but the funny part was yet to come...

Fifteen minutes into the conversation and ignoring all adult social rules by facing me, inches away this beautiful little child of seven asked me to sing for her. In a room full of officers and their wives. Dressed rather oddly, trying to hide my little baby bump. She wanted me to belt it out! I told her that if I did  then people might run away screaming. Her small face became wide with surprise and she got even closer to me, looked me in the eye, and said, "Really?!"

It was precious. It's these little moments that cause me to miss the innocence of childhood. I cannot wait to have a sweet little baby, my reminder of the wonder and excitement that life can hold.

[caption id="attachment_2248" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Photo Credit @adventure-learning-initiatives.com"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2249" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Photo Credit @ localism.com"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2250" align="aligncenter" width="224" caption="Photo Credit @ cindygraves.wordpress.com"][/caption]

2 comments:

Kristine said...

I was just thinking about you, and hoping you're feeling well today. I was also thinking that there could be an ultrasound picture, under the 'Meet our FAM!' tab, in the not-so-distant future. :)

Blessings,
Kristine

Mrs. K said...

I was thinking of you, too! I thought I hadn't seen a post from you in awhile and I signed into my Reader and voila! I can't wait to have an ultrasound picture to put up. Hopefully, it won't be long!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings