Monday, November 5, 2012

Never Buy Another Cloth Diaper Insert Again

This post will be incredibly boring for those of you who don't cloth diaper and/or those who have no plans to ever. You might wanna skip it, just sayin'. Today I'll tell you all about how I made 8 cloth diaper inserts for under $2! It was genius, really. I'm sure someone, somewhere has already discovered this but it just came to me a few weeks ago. I was perusing Wal-mart as I do every day (if only I were kidding) when I saw wash cloths on sale. I could get 16 for under $2. Sign me up. Living in the middle of nowhere has caused me to be a little creative with my sewing adventures because there's just no where to purchase a variety of fabrics. Anyway, it's important to note that I noticed these same packages are no longer on sale, but fear not-- you can still make 8 inserts for around $4. Here's what I did:

Step 1: Get two wash cloths of equal size. Pick ones that feel absorbent!
Step 2: Encase one over the other by folding them like a hot dog. I fold them this way so that I'm only sewing the three sides instead of four.
Step 3: You can pin your cloth if you'd like. I only did for the picture honestly. It's pretty easy to hold in place and it saves time. I'm NOT a perfectionist, though so if you want a pretty insert- then maybe you should. I just am well aware of what goes on the insert and yuck! Nothin' pretty about that.
Step 4: Use a straight stitch to sew the edges.

Voila! You're done.

I use these inserts as back ups. Most diapers you buy come with at least one microfiber or bamboo insert. Stuffing one of these wash cloths turned insert in provides a little extra protection. Because the wash cloths were so cheap, the absorbency isn't great but it works for us for day time use. I don't think I would trust it for night time, though.

Happy Sewing!

3 comments:

Chantal said...

Nice idea!!

#mommylife said...

Hey, i'm gonna save for later! :) you're so creative! ;)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea. I can honestly say, I've never thought of this :) I tried using up some of the 49868766 receiving blankets that we have as an insert. I ended up ripping the large ones in half.

Thanks for sharing your secrets! haha

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings