Monday, November 19, 2012

We're moving to...

When emails pile up, financial tasks need to be done, last minute baby preps are abundant, and my Scentsy business begs to be organized, the first thing to go was blogging. It's only been a few days, but I missed this space and I'm happy to be back with pretty good news.

If you've been following along here long enough, you know that Captain J is finishing up his service to the Army in January. We've been very nervous yet excited for this new curve in our lives. He spent much time deliberating whether this was the right decision for our family, but ultimately he knew that he didn't want to spend a year away from his sweet son if he didn't have to. That was the deciding factor. He wanted out. I supported this decision and eagerly began daydreaming of moving back to East Tennessee where so many of my friends are and where most of my family resides. We knew we wanted to be close as we've spent all of our relationship away from the ones we love. Alaska--Georgia--Louisiana-- it was time to go home.

Meanwhile, J partnered with a head hunter group to try to get a leg up when it comes to finding a job post Army. This was the beginning of our plans starting to shift. The further he got into the process, the more he became aware what he wants to do, what motivates him, and where we may (or may not) end up. There were slim pickin's in Tennessee as you might imagine. I was actually pretty upset about this until very recently. I wanted to go home! Watch my nephews and niece grow up! Hang with my old pals. Drop the kids off with their grandparents. Spend a Thanksgiving in good ole Loudon for a change.

A couple weeks ago, Captain J nervously set out to a hiring conference unsure of what to expect. If I may brag on my husband for a minute, let me say that I'm so very proud of him. It must be difficult to shift from Infantry Officer to a business mindset after so many years of service in the Army. Thus far, he has excelled at what he has set out to do. He's currently finishing up an MBA, keeping up with his duties at work and home, and he took a few days off to fly all over the country interviewing and kickin' butt at it. We were blessed to have many opportunities, many second and third interviews! After much deliberation, he narrowed his options down to three offers...

none of which were anywhere near "home."

The nearest was Northern Atlanta, but the work hours were depressing to say the least. In addition, we had already lived near there back when we were stationed at Ft. Benning for MCCC. We didn't love the area, but it was nice to be within driving distance of our hometowns. Still, it was a fiasco just trying to get home. It was about a four hour drive and that was before we had kids. That margin of time would only grow. We imagined being pretty close to home but never actually being able to go home due to the long work hours J was facing. Finally, we were swayed by insanely cheap real estate in...

Sunny Florida!

Source: google.com via Ashley on Pinterest


I'm kidding, sort of. J, of course, didn't choose his next job because of real estate there. Still, we have weighed our options and landed on the job that will take us to the Jacksonville area. I'll be honest- at first I was pretty sad. I'm a country mouse at heart. I have never had much of a desire to live in a big city. I feel most at home in the mountains and I desperately wanted four seasons. Mostly, I wanted K & A to know their family well. Over the past week, however, I've begun to accept and be happy about this change. J told me he wasn't too fond of living too close to where he grew up and I understand why he feels that way. Anyway, I'm beginning to picture our lives as a family of four in a warm climate with palm trees and plenty of opportunity to soak up some rays on my soon-to-be toned body again (Ok, perhaps I'm slightly delusional still). The point is, I can finally brush aside the dark clouds surrounding my mind and focus on the fact that this is a blessing. We'll get back to TN eventually, but until then-

God has provided for us yet again. With so many people struggling in this lowly economy, we worried it might be difficult to find work. Not only did J have multiple job offers, but I also truly believe now that God wants us to be in Northern Florida. We are excited about finding a church family there that is closer to what we are looking for from a congregation. We look forward to finding a reliable sitter so that we can finally start dating each other again. I've googled Mom and Me groups in the area so K can have that socialization that is ever important at this age. We're looking forward to moving on to what will be our fourth state in three years. Hopefully, we can stay there a bit longer than we've been averaging at previous duty stations! We're ready to have a home.

I hope that we make Florida home to us. I know it's all about perspective and for better or worse, the Cap'n and I are in this together, forever. He is my family. I'm his. We'll be happy any ole place...

Right?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I know you are probably not super thrilled about the move...but I am! A mere 1 hour and 45 minutes will allow us to "reconnect" from home even though we are still far away!

Karen said...

I'm excited for you guys, that sounds like an awesome new adventure to embark on together. And now I will have an excuse to go to Florida to meet you and K and Baby A and the Captain :) Best of luck in all the adventures about to start in your life!

Janie said...

My husband is getting out in 2 years (from this Dec) and he is going to get on with the civilian contractors. Major props to your husband because mine has it easy working with network/communications/satellites/computers - that is such an easy job to find in our society nowadays. I've kind of prepared myself mentally because I don't think we'll end up in East TN either. I want to. I want to so badly, but I don't think he'll get contracting out of Knoxville. I think you'll love Florida - you'll be close to Disneyworld and the beach! I have a friend in Jacksonville and she never said a bad word about it! ;)

Jenn said...

this makes me sad and excited for you all at the same time for you all.

Jen said...

I'm excited for you all and your new adventure! :)

Kathryn B said...

That is really exciting! I lived in Florida (a little farther south) an love living where it is warm. I'm glad you guys have a plan for after the army and hopefully you will find the support you need in your new home town :)

brittanykmorrow said...

I admire your positive attitude. It is all about perspective!

Fran said...

how exciting! I know it's not what you wanted but I think Florida would be fun to live in! and you get the beach!!! hehe :)

Unknown said...

That is so exciting! Life is such a great adventure! Best of luck to you and your family :)

Unknown said...

It's all an adventure! So proud of you both!

Kristin said...

I'm glad you finally have a plan! I'm very happy for you, but I know what it's like to know you can't move home!

Angie said...

I am looking at a move to Jacksonville this summer. I have heard great things about the area. Plus, for Florida, it is relatively inexpensive to live there. I can't wait to see what you think of the city!

Chantal said...

I think it's great that you know where you'll be going next! It'll definitely be a change, but you'll be fine!

#mommylife said...

So exciting! Glad you now know where you guys are going! And Florida I'm sure is not so bad! :)

Rhe Christine said...

oh so excited you guys are moving in a direction now! I know that its so hard and so scary to move forward like this, especially when it doesn't go exactly as you might have hoped and dreamed. But I know you can handle this.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings