Friday, November 25, 2011

Real Talk

I've mentioned before that I read that Moms as a collective group are pretty hard on one another. What about bloggers? What about other Mom Bloggers? I was reading one of the blogs that I subscribe to and she mentioned that instead of talking about how our kids take a lot out of us, we should be thankful that we even have them. Of course! But my blog is my space on the internet and I don't hold back when I write. Besides, I don't think there are enough people who write honestly about the stresses and trials that parenting can bring. I don't think this lady meant anything by it and I'm not upset if she did, but it just made me think about the message mothers are sending out about life as a parent.

Is it too cookie cutter? Do we make it seem easy breezy?

Research suggests that couples with young kids often report much lower levels of happiness than couples who do not have any kids (See this evidenced here). Some parents are quick to tell everyone how great their children make them feel on a daily basis, but they are really feeling quite unhappy. Don't hate the messenger, folks...it's just what research seems to show over and over. I thought a lot about this while I was pregnant and I wrote some freelance articles on the topic, but I wanted to bring it here, too.

My blog is a place that I never want to misrepresent myself. My relationship with God is lacking, although I talk about Him and the goodness He has showered over my life. My marriage is far from perfect, too although I tend to gush about the love I have for my husband quite frequently. And parenthood is hard. I've never hidden that from all of you who read my blog. There are some days that I feel like I'm barely functioning in my role as a mother. Other days are blissfully sweet and easy. It changes every single day. My love for Baby K does not, though. I love him more than anything in this world and that is something that will be lifelong.

But I think it's important to talk about what stresses me out, how hard parenting can be at times, AND the joys of raising a baby.

This is my blog and it is a good representation of my daily life. I'm not sugarcoating anything.

Baby K has given me a purpose in this world when I didn't seem to have one. I'm incredibly grateful that God chose me to be his earthly parent. I wanted him more than any of you all know. I didn't write much about our struggle to get pregnant here because there are some things that my husband and I agree will not be discussed on the Internet. That's just our personal decision. You can talk about whatever you want on your blog. It's your place! But I don't think I have to tell you how much my sweet little boy is loved. He is my life.

But I do have my struggles. That's what makes me human.

And I have good news, too! Apparently, the more children you have, the happier you are as you grow older (See Reference Here). This is excellent news for me because Captain J wants about five kids! I think I've talked him down to three, though ;) It doesn't matter how we get these bundles of joy whether it's adoption or natural, our children will be loved and cared for more than anything in this world. My life has changed so completely since the birth of Baby K and I truly wouldn't have it any other way.

And that's real talk.

4 comments:

Alyson H. said...

I love reading your blogs about how hard motherhood can be because I feel the exact same way as you do most days. And I'm glad to hear people with more kids are happier since I have my 3rd on the way lol.

Mrs. K said...

I'm glad that someone will admit to feeling the same way! ;) I'm so happy your third is a boy!!

Be Real Be Happy said...

Although I don't have any kids, I feel the same way..Life isn't cookies and cream..Life is hard..and if we want to complain about it ..we have a right to..that doesn't mean we care about life or anything in it less

Haleigh Steele said...

This made me cry!!!!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings