Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day 2011

Veteran's Day used to mean a lot to me for a very different reason than it does now. When I thought of Veteran's Day, I thought of grandparents and great-grandparents. It was a day to reflect on those people who sacrificed. It was separate from me. Now, Veteran's Day is something much different to me. I'm not sure why it rarely dawned on me that my own generation was a part of this celebrated group, too. Oh, how society (in regard to war) has changed. This change in thinking started (for me) on January 4, 2010 when I married into the military-



Veteran's Day is not something that is separate from me anymore. It's one day that remembers someone I live with every day. My veteran, my other half. I appreciate him because he thinks what he did is no big deal. He says being in the military has given him confidence and discipline and he is thankful for what the Army has done for him. I appreciate him because he is easily embarrassed when someone tries to show their appreciation of his service by paying for his meal; he doesn't think he deserves any special treatment-he was just doing his job. I appreciate my soldier for going down this path because each absence strengthens us- our relationship is better when he returns from being away. I appreciate him meeting me on Skype almost every day during deployment and trying so hard to connect when he was hopelessly tired from an earlier mission. As you can see-


My veteran means a lot to me.


Let's celebrate today, want to? Tell me about your veteran. Maybe it's your dad, your son, your daughter? I want to know about them. Feel free to gush about your veteran in the comment section. To those service people who are reading, past and present, thank you for your sacrifice.


Happy Veteran's Day!


Psss...Got something to nice to say about your other half? Link up with Alana!


6 comments:

Mel said...

Your wedding picture always makes me so happy - it's beautiful and vintage. Just lovely.

icantbelieveable said...

Happy Veterans Day! Thanks to your husband for serving our country and to you for being an awesome Army wife and mother ^_^

Mrs. K said...

I love it, too. Pretty good for propping a camera on a car and running to get in place. :) Thank you.

Mrs. K said...

Thanks to your dad, too!

Lydia Quintana (@lydia_isabelle) said...

that's a beyond gorgeous picture!!!

Mrs. K said...

thanks ;)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings