Monday, August 20, 2012

How NOT to Compliment a Pregnant Girl

There are ways to compliment a pregnant girl and there are ways not to. Allow me to fill you in, in case your mind is boggled.

(This blog post is brought to you by a recent trip to the local Walmart.)

Baby K and Captain J were off searching for baby water and beer while I'm perusing the egg section hoping to just get what we "need" and get out. I'm pushing the cart over to the refrigerated section. I've got on a shirt that is fairly tight because I still have that odd fear that people don't know I'm pregnant and they just think I drink too much. Anyway, the eggs are located in an aisle with a cold section so I suppose my belly was quite hidden from oncoming buggy pushers.

I glance up and I see it. That look, ya know? The one where a possibly creepy mid twenties fella is totally checking you out. "Awkward", I think. And I avert my eyes because I mean..helloo, I'm huge. Oh and I'm married ;) As I keep going toward the eggs, I round the corner of the refrigerator and then I know he knows I'm pregnant. He watches me as I look for eggs except I can't concentrate because OMGah, quit staring! Then...

THEN!

He comes over to me and says, "How many months are you?" When I respond, he isn't listening at all and he goes right on to the next thing he wanted to tell me-

"I just want to say you are beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous. You look great."

All perfectly nice things, but when you're staring at my quickly growing chest that I'm already self-conscious about I find it hard to believe you mean it. I smile and say thanks, grab a box of eggs, and get the heck outta there just as Captain J finds me and we move on to a different area of the store.

Creeper is EVERYWHERE.

We were there for 5-10 more minutes and I saw him at least 3 more times. Each time, he was completely oblivious to J and my other child. He was just smiling and staring at me.

And I got home and my eggs were mostly broken. I didn't check at the store because I had been so flustered.

Oh, well. At least I can count on older generations to come through. They just don't make em like they used to, do they?

A man in his seventies or so got behind us in line to pay. He struck up a conversation with us about Baby K and the one on the way. He spoke of his own children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren with a huge smile on his face. He talked about how he still carried photos of each of them when they were young babies and that we should really cherish this time- this beautiful time in our lives. He told Captain J that he was a blessed man to have such a nice young boy and a wife pregnant with another little one on the way.

That conversation left me smiling for days.

We are lucky.

And you know what? Maybe egg guy wasn't so bad. I suppose what he said is better than hearing, "Oh, I thought you were due any minute!" from the little old ladies at church.

Ouch.
24 Weeks with Baby A

10 comments:

Angie said...

Good gracious some people just have no tact. I once had a guy ask me when I was 9 months pregnant "When are you going to calf out?" I was SERIOUSLY FURIOUS and to the point that I told him I wasn't a darn farm animal.

I think you look amazing and I do mean it. Not in a stare at your chest creeper kinda way :)

foreverfaithful said...

the worst for me was when I was asked "you looking for a daddy for that baby" ... even me and my big mouth was speechless!

Anonymous said...

Well, all I can say is you do look great! I hope that I look like you when I get pregnant, whenever that day comes. But, that guy did sounds a little like a creeper, keep your eyes open :)

Nicole said...

That's totally creepy! But atleast the old man made up for it!

Chantal said...

Creeper! I get people fawning all over my baby and sometimes I want to hold her to my chest and run away lol

AlanaMarie said...

Hahaha I totally feel like I don't look pregnant. Especially at work because I have to wear an apron. I walk around holding my belly hoping people don't just think I got really fat over the last few months.

Kate @ Daffodils said...

THe worst is when strangers touch the belly! YOu look so cute :)

Fran said...

Talk about a creeper! lol

JG said...

Wow. Well you look gorgeous to me. :)

The New Normal said...

Ooh, that would creep me out! I always hated the looks and comments. I was 24 when I had my first but looked way younger, as did my husband. We constantly had people looking at us and making rude comments about being a pregnant teenager! Why do people feel they need to make comments anyway? :) But what the older gentleman said was so sweet!! And you look absolutely adorable!!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings