Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Murder Takes Time

You might not know this about me, but I sorta, kinda, love a good mob story.

I know. I don't fit the image, do I? But I'll let you in on a little known secret: When my bestie lived right off the University of Tennessee's campus, we'd sit for hours in her tiny apartment ordering Japanese food to be delivered, never moving from the couch so that we could watch all of the Godfather movies in quick succession. Then we quoted misquoted them for days and talked about how gangster we were are.

I know you all believe that last statement.

Anyway, I do enjoy reading and watching movies about this culture that is obviously so opposite and foreign from my own.


You can imagine how excited I was when I got the opportunity to read and review a mob story for this very blog. Murder Takes Time by Giacomo Giammatteo follows the lives of friends growing up in Sicilian and Italian families, immersed in a culture that will inevitably push them toward the mob and a lot of trouble. The story tests the lines of friendship, family, honor, love, and work. It forces the reader to choose a side with each character- is this person good or bad? Actions aside, I was constantly evaluating whether this person or that person was good at heart. It didn't matter how many people they had killed.

A good story does that. It takes you away from your normal thought process and presents you with a scenario that you normally wouldn't consider. I love that about reading!

There are a lot of characters in this book. Most have nicknames like the Rat, the Suit, Bugs, and more. At times, the story was confusing for me as so many names were thrown around. I got confused, but that was no surprise to me as typical in-depth mob stories usually have elaborate casts and intricate, numerous relationships. As I kept reading, the characters started to become easier to identify. Don't mistake this for a "typical mob story", though. It's surprisingly loving in some chapters and shockingly disturbing in others. The author knew no bounds.

When I got about half-way through the book, it really started to pick up and I was hooked. I didn't want to put it down, but I often had to in order to re-charge my Kindle...or, ya know, actually parent my child.

If you like mob stories, add this one to your reading list. It could also be considered a psychological thriller, too (which is another favorite genre of mine). Woven into this story of friendship and honor is a love story as well. I recommend it, for sure!

Warning: This book will make you want Italian food for days (if you don't lose your appetite, that is).

More Info:

(Disclosure: I was provided this book and compensation to review. That being said, my opinion is completely original.)

7 comments:

Chantal said...

I want Italian food just reading your review :P

Thanks for participating in the Wednesday Walkabout!

Chantal @ Scattered Seashells
(www.scatteredseashells.com)

Giacomo Giammatteo said...

Hey, Mrs. K: thanks for the review and for sharing it with your readers. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

Jamie said...

Mmmmm. Spaghetti. Raviolis. Hot bread. Caprese salad. Wait. What? What were you talking about again?

Jane said...

Ooooo I love a good mob story! And, delivery Japanese food. And, Italian food. I am seeing a pattern here lol. Yummm. Thanks for linking up with the Walkabout!

Kristin said...

The closest movie I've ever seen to a mob movie was The Departed. And I don't even think that counts.
Rachael Ray always makes me want to watch mob movies when she cooks Italian food though because she won't stop talking about it! (Now I'm hungry.)

Unknown said...

Hi, Kristin. The Departed was a great movie, and it had mob elements, but it was mostly about the Irish mob in Boston and corruption in the police department. The Italians run that area from Providence, RI. MTT is more of a 'coming-of-age' and mystery mixed with a lot of mob elements.

Lisa Resnick said...

I'm personally a big fan of mrskandcaptainj blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
clipping path
clipping path service

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings