Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It's Melon Time!

When there's absolutely nothing to do in your town and then someone slaps up a watermelon festival sign on the busiest street your town offers, your mind is going to wander. Mine did. I was all excited dreaming of walking along from vendor to vendor as they showed me their prized melon. Perhaps I would gather stories from old men in overalls about how they've been farming melons since their grandparents showed them the ropes. I even learned how to pick a good watermelon in preparation for this event. I don't even like watermelon.
Clearly, my expectations for this event were wrong.
I begged Captain J to take me from the moment I read the sign. This must be fun! He wasn't as convinced but quickly agreed probably just to get me to be quiet about it. This past weekend was the big weekend and I wouldn't let him forget it. When Saturday rolled around, we finally hopped in the car and headed over.
And then it rained. I was sad (and hot) imagining we would just get back in the car and head home, but we didn't. We decided to get rained on a bit and try to experience all that was the Beauregard Parish Watermelon Festival!
Our first stop was to get horrible fair food. No, we weren't at the festival for ice cold watermelon. It was the experience and I don't know whose experience isn't better with meat on a stick. I got a corn dog or if you're in my home town you will know it as a dip dog. The unhealthy food choices didn't stop there. Between the four adults in attendance, we had two dip dogs, three pork sandwiches, a blooming onion, 2 waters, 2 cokes, and 2 funnel cakes. Oh, yeah. Come to Mama.
Anyway...
We played games!
We rode rides...
(I think my face tells it all in this photo)

And we listened to music, too...
but I look too gross in the photo to show that one to you. I had fair hair and it. was. ugly. To add to the scariness of that photo, there was a lady in the background with longer arm pit hair than Captain J. You're welcome for not putting it up. I like to keep it classy around here.

There ya have it- the festival wasn't at all was I thought it to be. There weren't old people around wanting to boast of their awesome melon growing capabilities; it was a fair in celebration of it being harvest time for watermelons. As my dad says, "Ya learn somethin' new every day!"

P.S.- You try to go to a watermelon festival without the lyrics to watermelon crawl obnoxiously replaying in your head:

"When the band started playing the watermelon queen said Let me show you something that you ain't never seen..."




2 comments:

Amber Nicole said...

If you're ever down in Georgia round late July, if you ain't in a hurry then you outta stop by... help yourself to some, but obey the law... if you drink, don't drive, do the watermelon crawl.
haha

Chantal said...

That looks kinda fun! lol

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings