Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Advice For Life

I told you all about reading The Traveler's Gift and how I was enjoying it, but I didn't tell you that it held the possibility of changing my life. Perhaps I should say that it has the potential to alter my attitude, my ways of thinking, and my life if I choose to let it. No promises, y'all. It's only week two. But honestly? I was on fire after reading it. It's not like it holds all these secrets to successful living that no one has ever thought of before. Instead, it's more of a reminder- a pep talk of sorts. If you're looking for a quick read, pick up this book. It ties an interesting fictional plot into a surprisingly applicable advice for life list. I thought I'd share the "decisions" the main character faces with you:


You can find more detailed information about each of these here.

But because this is my blog, I'm going to shed a little light on my struggles with each and what this list means to me.

1. The buck stops here is all about accepting responsibility. My exact position in life right now as a stay-at-home wife and mother of {almost} two is my decision. My unfinished Master's degree is because of my doing or lack thereof. My own decisions have brought me to this place as much as I sometimes place blame or responsibility on the Army, my husband, or the busyness that mothers of infants and toddlers experience. If you've been reading awhile, you know I've got all the excuses in the world, but that has to stop. The things I have or have not done in my life are my own doing! Realizing this was oddly motivating to me.

2. I will seek wisdom talks about surrounding ourselves with people who create positive changes in us. As a blogger who is immersed in social media throughout the day, I find this one difficult. I can't tell you how many "baby mama drama" updates I see on facebook on a daily basis. There are countless status updates calling people out or whatever other small thought that floats through their minds. I spend a lot of time reading these. I know this isn't wisdom by any stretch of the imagination. Seeking wisdom, to me, means connecting with people who share my values, getting to know them personally, and not shying away from deeper, meaningful relationships. It means diving into God's word, committing verses to heart, and practicing trust in God. I will seek wisdom!

3. I am a person of action. This one stands alone. It might have been the most powerful decision of them all for me. You don't like how your life is going? Do something about it. Not satisfied with your job? Look for another. Send out resumes. Apply. Search. Network. Change your life. Being a person of action to me meant sending in a manuscript for a children's book I wrote awhile ago. After finishing The Traveler's Gift, I decided I was going to take action. I want to be a writer, but in order to do that I kinda had to show someone my work. Who'da thunk it? I can't tell you how good it felt to send in a finished work. I hadn't done that in so long (and never a book!) and I felt inspired after hitting "send" instead of feeling discouraged that my chances of getting a break are super low.

4. I have a decided heart is a decision that involves accepting each day as an opportunity for growth and change. It's about envisioning your own future and taking steps in the right direction toward your end goal. This one is hard for me, too. I don't like to think about the future much. I always hated those questions like, "Where do you see yourself in ten years?" Who knows what life will bring my way? I don't want to imagine what it could be like because I've learned over the years that God's plan for me is a lot more rad than anything I could conjure up. I just never would have believed at twenty six years old that I would be married with kids and not working outside of the home. I really didn't see this coming, but these roles have made me so incredibly happy.

5. Today, I will choose to be happy. I think this one stands alone. My mom has been telling me the importance of this for years!

6. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit. Hands down- hardest one for me. I'm admittedly terrible at forgiving others and even myself. I need to work on this one the most. Could a girl get a class? I don't even know where to start sometimes.

7. I will persist without exception. It means that I am to have my eye on the prize and not let anyone or anything get in the way of what I want (what God wants) for my life. It's the whole idea of- "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Right now, I believe God has called me to be a good mother- to teach, guide, and love. Even on trying days, I want to be showing love to my family. I want my children to look back on their childhoods and remember their mother who thought they hung the moon. I want them to remember my good example and forgive me when I fail them. My eye is definitely on the prize; I know raising these children will be the most important thing I ever do.

If you've made it this far, good for you and I hope you've gotten to know me a little better. I just wanted to type this all out as therapy and encouragement for myself. Maybe some of these decisions will bring positive change to your life, too.

Is this post too deep or long for you? Fret not. I'm sure I'll be back with something a little more lighthearted tomorrow! See ya then!

7 comments:

erika said...

I absolutely loved this post. Great reminders that I really needed!

Jenn said...

Great post and so EXCITING about the book! :D

The New Normal said...

LOVE this post! I started reading this book a while ago but for it down for some reason. After reading this, I defintiely need to pick it back up again! I could really use some of these good insights and changes in my life! Thanks for sharing :)

J said...

Love, love, love this post! I'm definitely going to have to pick this book up!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

I love this! I think it is all a great reminded of how we are in a level of control of our days. Good luck getting your writing out there and accomplishing everythign you want to do!

Karen said...

Love this post! And I definitely think I want to read that book now. Thank you for sharing it :) And good luck with the writing thing - based on your blog - I think you're a pretty awesome writer :)

Kristin said...

#1 The buck stops here.
Definitely made me realize, in a no-nonsense way, that I am responsible. I'm responsible for my career. It'll only go as far as I take it.
Sometimes I forget that being an adult means I need to push myself because no one else is going to do it.
(Your masters' [and mine] will come in due time :)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings