Monday, July 16, 2012

Sew What?

I started a 30 by 30 list. I know what you're thinking. I won't bore you with all my mediocre goals for the next four years- mostly b/c I could only think of 5 and I don't want you to laugh. But! One that is on my list of To Dos is : learn how to sew, dang it.

Captain J bought me a sewing machine for my birthday last year (or maybe it was for Christmas?). Anyway, I unpacked it, tried to set it up, and nothing. I couldn't figure it out and who likes to read directions? Not this girl. Besides, those directions are vague, inaccurate, and INFURIATING! So, there my shiny new machine sat with no one to create lovely things with her.

Enter Jenn.

We've been discussing taking a sewing class since she got to post a few months ago. Instead, she said her husband, Hunter, would teach us the basics. And by basics, I mean how to thread the freakin' needle. Half the battle (maybe over half the battle) in sewing is just getting the stinkin' machine to work. She texted me saying they'd both be over the following day to help.

What did I do?

I did what any eager student would do- I studied the machine. I oriented myself with the mechanics. Ok, that's a fib.

I actually decided my sewing room needed a facelift and I completely re-arranged everything in that room. Makes sense, right? I even hung pictures. I was working on the feng shui, people! I wanted to be in the room after I was done so I thought that was a pretty good first step in using my "sewing room"- aka guest bedroom.




Oh, there. That's better.

Now, I can work.

The following day, they came over and showed me how to work this machine which I find anything but simple. Alas, that's the machine's name. Liars.

Anyway, on Sunday I decided I was going to make something. The only thing I could think of that sounded easy was a baby bib. I scoured the house for material. I ended up finding a shirt I shouldn't have worn past high school although I was definitely guilty of rocking it well into my twenties. Also, I found an old hand towel that was too ugly to display in my house anymore.

I started cutting out the pattern...


Pinning it together...


Sewing successfully.

and then THEN the darn thing breaks and I have to figure out how to thread it again. The machine I have does not allow you to see the bobbin as you sew so it's a little difficult to get threaded again. That's my excuse anyway. After phone calls to Hunter, youtube instruction videos, and maybe a few dirty words (If you say them to yourself, do they still count?) - I was back in business!



The result was a homely, very pink, but very obvious baby bib! I'm so proud. I mean, I know it's not pretty, but it's going to work like a charm and that's all that matters, right? Note: I don't know if it's a girl or a boy, but this fabric is what I had around so I went with it. Speaking of...have you voted in my current poll? Most of you think Baby #2 is a girl, but it's a close call. You only have a few more weeks to guess.

Anyway, I'm going to end my post now. This is the point where you praise my tenacity of keeping with something that is so dreadfully hard and not killing anyone in the process. Ready, go!

8 comments:

Amber Nicole said...

Cute cute cute!! Go you!
I have a sewing machine that I swear i'm going to learn how to use ONE of these days, hopefully.

Nina said...

You rock, girl! I so wish we were closer to each other, we could start our own sewing club. I have a pretty nice sewing machine and most of the time know how to use it but it would be more fun to do all this crafty things with someone. Why don't we start a virtual craft day??? :-)

Becca said...

You and I have a similar color motif in our rooms except I have dark wood. I feng-shuied our room when little h was about 10 or 11 months old. It makes getting back to sleep during sleepless nights a little easier, I think. WAY to go on the sewing project. Mad respect...

#mommylife said...

nice job! And look at you being so resourceful! Now do you have some velcro lying around too? ;) I guess you could just use a safety pin though

Meghan said...

I started sewing a few months back. It is tough stuff to get that machine all primped and ready to go, ha! I love the hot pink bib too.

Chantal said...

Aw that's cute. I sew sometimes, and everyone says what I do is great, but they can't see the seams in the pictures I post lol

Karen said...

We have in our family what is known as "sewing machine language", in which you are allowed to mutter bad words under your breath as you try to make the silly machine work. I've had mine set up in the basement since Christmas and have yet to sew anything using it... maybe soon lol. You have inspired me to actually use it :)

Jenn said...

its cute! I have been known to shout choice words when sewing. I'd like to believe they don't count ;)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings