Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Farewell Festivities

We've really been living it up these past few days! As you Army people may know, Captain J has a ten day period of time to out process from Ft. Wainwright so I've seen him a lot more than usual. It makes me pretty happy to get more time with him even if he has been playing PS3 with his buddy, Joshua almost constantly. That's a-okay, after all- it allots me time to catch up with all of you!


Last Wednesday, we made our final trip to The Pump House for karaoke night. We were regulars there for quite a while so naturally, we had to head back for one last time. Many of J's friends from work joined us and we ended up shutting the place down shortly after J sang Fat Bottomed Girls and dedicated it to all the women in the room. Real crowd pleaser I've got on my hands!




A couple days later, it was my turn to let my hair down and hang out with friends. Sarah, Michelle, Ashley, Laura, and I decided it was time for a ladies night! We started off the evening at Ashley's place with wine and good conversation. Then we went out to eat for Mexican (and margaritas!). The restaurant was just down the street from her place so we decided to walk, just in case. Our walks quickly turned into a trot, then a jog as we were slowly losing feeling in our extremities due to the cold weather. We laughed when I realized this was the first time I had ever sprinted to a bar and I'm hoping it will be my last. It wasn't the alcohol I was after--it was the warmth!



It took us forever to decide on a location after we left the restaurant mainly because we couldn't just choose anywhere. Fairbanks is fairly small, but it is still a military town full of young guys who patrol the bars off duty like no body's business. We wanted nothing of the sort! After a phone call to a local, we determined the best place to NOT get hit on was a place called the Boatel. This was an interesting choice. While there were definitely no soldiers in it, there were many other unique characters that looked at us with questioning eyes as the four of us strolled in. Despite our mostly unwelcome entrance, we were able to sit around, talk, and have a good time.



I'd love to tell you about the going away shin-dig that was thrown for us tonight, but this is getting lengthy and I'm pretty tired already so I'll save that for later. Tomorrow I'm getting my hair highlighted and then I'm off to watch Harry Potter at midnight (and I may or may not be in costume)! That will be the last time we get to see our dear friends we've made up here for a long while. :(


This Alaska girl is Georgia bound in less than 48 hours. Lord willin'!

3 comments:

Becca said...

Safe travels and may Georgia welcome you all with open arms!

Nina said...

Safe travels to you both!

Twelve in One « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] is my birthday month but it was bittersweet because we also had to say goodbye to all the friends we had made up in the Great White North. Our family migration from AK to GA [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings