Monday, November 29, 2010

Hello, Sunshine.

I'm not sure how much sense this post will make as it is 2:30 am and there are a bunch of yayhoos next door being obnoxiously loud. We're in California- San Fransisco to be exact. I'll have to save this city for another post, there's just too much to tell!

But I will tell you about Northern California- It was very rainy at first. We had experienced rain all throughout the ferry ride, Washington, and Oregon so it was just more of the same to these ole vagabonds. Finally, we drove out of it into a town called Crescent City where we were able to catch our first glimpse of the shoreline. After a quick stroll around the water, we loaded up the dogs and were on our way to our next stop.



Orick was interesting, a tiny little dot on the map- nothing at all like you would picture when you picture the state of California. It was here where I met my first Californians and....wait for it....

Sarah Palin fans! I was surprised, to say the least. I knew these people had to be good people when I walked in their cafe and saw this:



Right beside their Northern Cali flag were the flags of the two places I've lived- Alaska and Tennessee. It was pretty cool. We talked to them a bit and hearing that we were among people who held TN very dear to their hearts made me happy all over again to be on this journey back to the south. To all you Tennessee folk reading, one man told us he was "at a place called Tellico just two weeks ago." Small, small world.

I'll tell you what wasn't so small, though- those huge Redwoods! They are magnificent. We saw some on our trip to NZ, but those were transplants, if you will. They weren't native to that area so they hadn't had the time to get as big as these it seems. I had so much fine hiking around the national park (except I have a bone to pick with them--but I'll save that for later) and exploring these very old, very large trees. I'm too lazy at the moment to get my camera, but I will post some photos later that certainly won't do them justice.

Thanks for following along in our adventures! I apologize for lack of commenting/contacting on my part. I've been trying to keep up with all of you as best I can with limited internet access. I hope this post finds you well! Much more travel joys and woes to come...

1 comments:

Nina said...

Sounds like you are having a blast in Cali! Makes me miss a bit warmer temps; it's afternoon and 5 degrees here. Brrr. My lungs are simply freezing when I go running in the mornings.

You two - have fun over there! And give a big hug to your furry kids!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings