Wednesday, March 30, 2011

(Mil)ing It Over: Good Reads Edition

In a last ditch effort to ignore today, I signed in to Google Reader. When things aren't all copacetic around here, I like to read about my bloggy friends and how they're doing. It takes me to another place, much like reading works of fiction do. The first three blog posts I opened were about reading and/or books which reminded me, I haven't participated in Jenn's blog hop yet this week! You may have guessed that this week's topic is all about Good Reads. I won't be vlogging as I normally do because I don't think you want to see this soon-to-be Mama minus the makeup and her sanity and a shower and with bloodshot eyes. Instead I'll hide behind this glorious contraption that is my computer while you pretend I'm typing away, looking fabulous as I sip a fruity (non-alcoholic) drink, and living the good life. Can you do that for me?


Here are some questions:


1) What are you currently reading? I'm reading...



A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini It's pretty good thus far. I'll be sure to update you after I'm finished.


2.) What is your favorite book and why? I can't ever answer this question. There are too many novels, too many genres that I love. I think the Harry Potter series would have to rank pretty highly on this list, though. J.K. Rowling is a literary genius and if you still haven't given ole Harry a chance- you should!


3.) What types of books do you like? For the longest time, all I ever wanted to read was Greg Iles. He writes psychological suspense. Yes sir- right up my alley. I also enjoy Nicholas Spark's books, although I typically stay away from other authors who write the mushy, gushy lovey stuff. I like to read biographies, too.


4.) Do you read more than one book at a time? Sometimes I do. I don't like to, though. When I read, I want to be totally immersed and interested in that one story and not have other plots confusing my train of thought.


5.) Do you use an e-reader? Nope. Not that I would be opposed to it while traveling, but I enjoy having the tangible pages to turn. I like seeing my progression through a novel instead of being told that "I'm 44% done..." Some of my favorite days are spent in libraries and book stores just browsing.


6.)How do you get your books? I'm a Barnes and Noble junkie. When I realize I'm poor, though- I start hitting up repeat book stores. I've been known to purchase literary treasures from Goodwill, yard sales, etc.


7.) Have you ever been part of a book club? Yes, very briefly- I participated in an online forum discussing a book that we had all collectively agreed upon. After reading, I looked forward to an in depth discussion about it or at least something a little more than "I like it" or "I think it's dumb". I typed out a lengthy, reflective post about the book and got no response. I was that nerd who put too much thought into it. I decided that wasn't the book club for me. I like the idea of discussing literature among friends over a cup of coffee- nothing too homework-like and mildly thought provoking. If anyone wants to start an email/blog/forum book club, shoot me an email!


I haven't read as much as I would like to this year. The last book I finished was Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. It might be my favorite of his as far as grabbing my attention goes. I really enjoyed it because it had the element of suspense mixed in with a real-life type of love story. For a full description, click on the link above.


Happy Reading! If you want to link up with Jenn she'd love to have ya!


5 comments:

Alyson said...

I just finished "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. I wouldn't have chosen to read it because I have seen commercials for the movie and thought it looked sad. But my sis-in-law gave it to me and told me to read it. It was indeed sad but very thought-provoking. I would recommend it. And if you ever want to read the same book and discuss it I'm all up for that :)

carolina said...

I personally love reading any type of series books, because I hate it when they end so I like to read ones that go on and on. I just finished reading The House of Night series. I got Rachel to read them to they are amazing. They are by P.C Cast and her daughter. They are fantasy and the most captivating thing iI have ever read. There are like 9 books so far with another coming out in the fall and I believe 3 more after that. I read the Twilight series and yeah they were great but these blow those out of the water. They author makes it so real including real indian culture and history, oh just go to the houseofnightseries.com and check out the list of the books. Im telling you if you like books like this you will die when you start reading them. I read all 9 in 2 weeks!!!

Becca said...

Oooh! Good one! I loved his books, and my Mom and I actually became total stalkers of Khaled (because we're on a first-name basis, haha).

My Husband is a HORRIBLE influence on me because before I met him, I only read one book at a time. Now I am reading at least 3. Always at least one historical fiction or biography/autobiography, one fiction or compilation of short fiction, and one non-fiction/self-help/referenc-y-type book

Literacy = Freedom!

Jenn said...

Im totally in for a book club. I've been exploring blog frog for that. This way we can talk about it and have people respond to it. I'm with you I hate to read more then one at a time but I do it way too often when I start to get bored with a book. I got an eReader, a nook, for Christmas this past year. I don't mind it because it reads like paper and holds so many books. I do however like the the actual book in hand when I love a book. I'm finding a balance now between the two.

christiansinglemother said...

I would highly encourage you to think about starting a new book club where you live. I did this when I moved to a new city and it was one of the best things I ever did. Each girl would bring a homemade snack, and the hostess chose the book. We made it where it wasn't a big deal if you didn't have a chance to read the book. It ended up being like girls night on a Saturday morning. :)

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings