Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A little bad in every good

Not going to lie- today was not so great. But before I tell you about all that, let me say-

Thank you all for your responses on my last post. All of you who said something made that post great for mothers who are dealing with these very struggles in their own lives. That is the reason I like to blog- to inspire friendly conversation, debate, or support for me and others. I'm so glad you guys posted your experiences. Thanks!

Anyway, about today...

As you may know, I was supposed to have an ultrasound today to determine the sex of the baby. My blood pressure was high when I walked in, which was cause for alarm until they took it again a while later. Then they weighed me and all started tumbling downhill. I've only gained 3 lbs. Apparently, at 16 weeks- that isn't good enough. Now, I have an appointment to go back in a week or so and if I haven't gained 2-3 more lbs. then they're going to send me to a nutritionist.

It's not that I don't want to see a nutritionist, it's just that I felt like it was a reprimand, a punishment. I eat all. the. time. I have no idea why I'm not gaining. I've never had problems gaining weight before. I knew 3lbs. wasn't ideal, but I didn't know that it would be a big deal either. Doc said that I should stop drinking skim milk, eating strictly healthy foods, and add some more fatty foods to my diet. I was totally not expecting to hear that! I treat myself to restaurant food enough (or so I thought). If anything, I would have guessed that I didn't eat enough fruit and vegetables! I guess I was overdoing it with the greens, though. Literally, he told me to "go eat a Snickers, just not every day." It was bizarre, but hey! Good excuse to eat more? I'm trying to make the best of it, but it does upset me.

For some reason, it made me feel like a bad mother already. Not only will I have to continue to refer to my baby as "it", I am also not feeding little nugget enough. Actually, that's not true. The doctor said the baby would take what he/she needed therefore baby was measuring perfectly. It was me he was worried about.

Then I got home and just got all weepy. I feel fat, but they're telling me I'm underweight. That's not normal. I don't want anyone to think I would deliberately try not to gain weight just because I look at myself in pictures and want to throw away all the cameras in the world. I would never do that, but I think Captain J thinks I'm somehow "watching my weight." I'm sure this is just in my head.

No ultrasound until I can get this weight under control-- Doesn't that sound like a punishment? Ha! I'll get to see that cutie patootie one day and maybe then we'll get to learn the sex.

Well, anyway, let's not dwell on the negatives. So I don't get an ultrasound anytime soon? I'm sure I'll be fine and that appointment will arrive before I know it. Earlier, I wrote this post over at my spiritual journey blog. After re-reading, it I remembered that I have a lot to be thankful for.

For instance, the doctor said all of my tests came back normal! Praise be to God! He also told me that the baby was measuring perfectly for 16 weeks and I got to hear the heartbeat for the first time. Last time, I only got to see it. Speaking of little fetus, here's an update:

Size of Baby: Navel Orange (2.5 oz)


Total Weight Gain: 3lbs :(


Maternity Clothes: No. I have definitely gone up a size, though. Size 6 and 8 fit much more comfortably than my normal jeans do!


Gender: Let's not even go there today ;) Although, I will say that it irks me when J continues to call it "him". It might just be momma's little girl!


Movement: Sometimes I think I can feel something but I'm not sure if my mind is fabricating this or not.


Sleep: Good.


What I miss: My girlfriends to cry on! ha I know that's not the answer that is supposed to go here, but it's true.


Cravings: Japanese foods


Symptoms: headaches, backaches, heartburn


BaPADaBeepBaBeepBaBeep- That's all, folks.


9 comments:

hilary said...

Sorry you didn't get to find out the sex today! Try not to be discouraged :)

Speaking of baby being the size of a navel orange, I saw the coolest pictures somewhere of a pregnant lady taking her weekly pics with whatever fruit her baby was the size of that week. My favorite was the avocado :)

Nicole said...

I'm sorry you feel so bad today. Regardless of how you feel right now, I know that you're the perfect oven for that little bun, and you're going to be a wonderful mother once the buzzar goes off. "She" is measuring perfectly, so I would just take the doc's advice and enjoy some yummy yummy chocolate! That sounds like a blessing to me! :) I'm sorry I can't be there for you in person, but I will start savin' my pennies so I can see you when you get to LA!

Miss you!
Nicole

Alyson said...

Wow, that's crazy to me the doc was worried so much about your weight. I barely gained 20 pounds (maybe even a little less) my entire pregnancy with Ashlyn and I had barely gained any at only 16 weeks. And I didn't even attempt to eat healthy like you are. You are like the most selfless person I know and I wouldn't think for a millisecond you would do anything to hurt your baby like not eating. Keep your head up! Pregnancy doesn't last forever (even if it feels like it does).

christiansinglemother said...

I didn't really gain weight until I was closer to 18 weeks. I am so sorry they are giving you a hard time about it. Just keep eating healthy and the weight will come.

Nicki McMasters said...

My doctor was also concerned at first that I wasn't gaining, although nothing seemed to fit anymore. I wasn't too worried because I'd only gained a total of 18 lbs with Gabriel, and he was healthy. With this one, I had gained only 5 up until December, which was 6 months and then BAM, from Dec to Jan, there was 5 more, and that's where I've stayed for the most part. Studies are showing that women do not need to gain as much weight as once thought for a healthy pregnancy. I know you are doing all the right things, so don't feel like a bad mother. I know you are eager to find out the sex, but 16 weeks is probably a little early anyway, and that little one wants to keep you waiting. Hang in there, Momma! It will all be ok! Love ya!

Jenn said...

Keep your head up girl. Things will get better. Just remember I might not be your "neighbor" but you can always call me or text me if your getting down.

"S" Loving Wife said...

Chin up sweetie, they aren't all that bright some times over there. A friend of mine lost 15lbs in the first trimester with her 1st kid. I myself just got "yelled at" for gaining 6.5lbs in 4 weeks, with a 4lb baby in there. I haven't gained more than 2 lbs since that appointment, though I think my sneakers might be part of that 2lbs. I like you eat pretty healthy and only "splurge" once in a while.
Maybe see a different provider for the next time? They would have had me keep seeing the nurse practitioner for the rest of the time but then I asked to see one of the midwives. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Kristine said...

You'll be okay. When I was pregnant with my son the doctor prescribed Ensure. It's not the best tasting stuff, but it put the weight on me. You can make milkshakes out of it. ☺ The important thing is, the baby is growing well. As for me, I weigh more now then I did when I was full-term. Every pregnancy is different. Nature takes it course, and there is nothing we can do to change that. I'm sure that Captain J. finds the thought of you carrying his baby very sexy. You're doing fine...Oh, when you feel your baby move for the first time, it will feel like butterflies. You'll know. :) It may sound weird, but I'm just so happy for you. :)

seventeen « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] I had no weight gain to show for the week. If you’re not up to date on this situation you can read about it here. I suppose I’ll eat a lot this weekend and try to go in on Monday. I’m not going to [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings