Friday, March 26, 2010

Broomball, shmoomball

Somehow in my sheltered little box in East Tennessee where I grew up, no one bothered to mention to me that there's such a thing as broomball. So, when my husband tells me, "Hey Babe we have an FRG (Family Readiness Group) meeting to go to then afterwards we need to stop by my soldiers' broomball game", naturally, I think he's yankin' my chain. Seriously? I truly thought he was joking for a good half hour, that is until I got to the FRG meeting where there were several soldiers proclaiming their love for this bizarre sport. I could see it in their eyes the way they talked about their previous games and the way they tried  passionately to suggest to Captain J that he suit up to play, as well (Oh, goodness...Surely, he isn't considering this).


Anyway, broomball is sorta like hockey with brooms minus the knock-down-drag-out fights. It's played on ice, yet skates aren't used. There are special shoes one must aquire before taking on this hobby (YES! Shoes J doesn't own!). The sport originated in Canada so I guess its popularity floated on over to Alaska and, according to Wikipedia, all "around the world." Please tell me I'm not the only one who has never heard of this!?


As sure as the sky is blue, broomball does exist. It was actually interesting to watch and the team we were rooting for pulled off a 3 to goose egg win. Later, I asked Captain J if he was considering joining the team and like music to my ears, he replied in the negative. I'm just happy that a bunch of dudes in semi-sturdy ice shoes and oversized helmets aren't competing with me for J's attention :) And now for proof-


4 comments:

Sarah Nicole said...

I did not that game existed. Also until the Olympics this year I had no idea what Curling was. I'm so naive about the world of sports. Looks like a fun game to watch though.

kacysue said...

Yeah, it was interesting. Might be fun to play, too, but it looked very exhausting!

Karin said...

I had never heard about that game before, so you're not alone. But it sounds... interesting. I'd love to see it live XD

Twelve in One « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] to love on each other (see this date night), attended the Alaska Outhouse Race of 2010, discovered broomball, and enjoyed another scenic hike at Angel [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings