Monday, March 22, 2010

Annual Outhouse Race 2010

I thought the most redneck event I had ever experienced was back in my hometown of good ole Loudon, Tennessee, when our entire high school played tic tac toe with cow crap out behind the football field. Was it for a good cause? Was it supposed to inspire school spirit? To this day, I'm clueless, but sure enough- We all picked a square on "the board" and bet on where the cow would shamelessly excrete her waste first. This memory competes with my latest, but I don't quite think it comes out on top. Here's my story:

Yesterday started like any other day. We woke up early and began planning out our day which was to peak at brunch and a drive to Fox, Alaska, to witness quite a spectacle: The Annual Outhouse Race 2010. After a spectacular dining experience at The Pump House complete with mimosas and the largest, tastiest breakfast spread around, we headed in the direction of Fox. Captain J's friends, Josh and Don joined us and my buddy, Nicole came, too. When we arrived, we pulled up to rows of cars parked along side the road and a hole in the wall bar right off the main road. This was going to be interesting. We excitedly walked down the pathway to the festivities and lo and behold, there were eight homemade outhouses with skis attached to the bottoms of them all. Some were quite creative, some more so than others. Just before the races began, Josh found a fellow soldier friend of his who asked him to help push the literal port-a-potty across the finish line.

How bout I just let the pictures and video speak for themselves:

The one with the most character-


Honorable Mention-



And the winning outhouse-



The winners just happened to be Josh's team-



The race was done in heats. I couldn't get a good one of the winning team, but this one works just fine-







As you can see, there are rednecks all over our country and honestly, they're some of the best company I could keep. I mean, I totally fit right in! :)

6 comments:

Shug said...

OMG---did you actually go to the outhouse race??? I saw that on TV and Cody and I totally decided we HAD to go to one sometime! LOL!! That is soooo awesome!! You totally rock!!

kacysue said...

You and Cody will have to witness this spectacle. It. is. hilarious.

Shug said...

When I saw your post...my jaw dropped :o) b/c we really did think it was hilarious when we saw the special on TV....does it happen every year...cause Cody and I better book our plane tickets ASAP for the next one!!

kacysue said...

Yeah, they do it every year. From what I've heard, they always say "this is the last year" but they've been doing it since 1979 so I'm sure it will continue on. They plan it a year in advance usually. I had planned on going since before Jordan even got home from deployment. Lol Plenty of time for planning. Ya gotta get the tshirt, too. I'm sporting mine today. haha

Carina the Blogaraina said...

That looks like so much fun! I love to participate in all these kind of things.. something different for sure!!

Sickos. « Mrs. K and Captain J said...

[...] I could discuss things that intrigued you about Alaska, like sixty below zero temps or how for fun, Alaskans build outhouses and race them down the street. I could blog/vlog about our adventures in hunting in The Arctic Circle. Perhaps you were surprised [...]

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings