Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"If Boredom Kills...

... then cultivating curiosity heals." These are the words Dr. Kashdan, who recently wrote for Psychology Today, about the latest research on boredom.

Of course, this article caught my eye because I was mindlessly browsing the net for something, anything that would interest me. I may claim to be bored several times throughout the week, but really I don't mean it. I suppose it would be more accurate for me to say that I'm feeling less productive and as society tells us, productivity is a positive thing! Am I bored, though? Nah. It's easy for me to get cabin fever up here in these arctic temps, but thanks to technology, books, hobbies, and my darn dear puppy, I've got plenty to do.

As a child, I remember my parents asking me if I was bored. If I was, I rarely told them for two reasons:

  1. They might use that as an excuse to put me to work.

  2. Or because I was one of those weird kids who worried whether I'd hurt my parents' feelings. I didn't want that (not that it was their sole responsibility to keep me entertained) so I'd say "No, I'm having fun."


I probably was having a good time. I'm one of those people who are easily entertained! I don't need constant conversation. I don't have to always be on the go. I've always been somewhat of a homebody. I guess that's the introvert coming out in me, but I am usually fine with myself because I happen to think I'm pretty darn cool :)

Back to the article, though...Did you read it?! Eek! I don't want you to die of boredom, which is why I feel like it's my DUTY to keep you informed of my day to day existence. I feel led to do my part in preventing you from perishing away at your office because no one thought to write silly blogs for your own enjoyment. I won't let you down! I'm here for you! (hehe)

Top ways we prevent boredom in our household (in pictures):

 (No, not playing hide-n-seek. Painting nails!)

 (Sleeping. This one is highly recommended as I mentioned here.)

 (Making something old new once more!)

and last but not least...

 (Dancing!)

Now, get to livin'...Go have fun because I want to keep you around :)

3 comments:

Kim said...

The nails look GREAT! Love ya'

Miranda said...

<3. Believe it or not..I have more news since the other day. Weird how everything happens at once..I'll be calling. Usually, everything is pretty boring, eh hum, uneventful.

David Weigle said...

I think your great just like you are,and I'm so glad you love my son! So Jordan is teaching Drifter to dance too I love this! I struggle with lethargy in the winter time when the sun isn't out. I believe I would be happiest living in a sunny beach area. Today they are predicting the sun will come out in E. Tn Yeah! It's been a long hard winter for everyone this year. Exercise is def helping me though, I'm starting to look forward to it! Love Ya! Also I get alot of satisfaction out of my pts telling me that I've helped them. It's very rewarding for me to be told this. One of my favorite Pts spouse told me the other day that he looks forward to me comming because he can talk with me ( his wife is dying). I quess when you are as old as I am that all my life's experiences can help.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings