Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Outside my window

Do you have any secret indulgences? (Please note: If they're dirty, I don't wanna hear about em! ha) I do. There's a certain quiet time, early in the morning, when the dog is asleep and Captain J has already left to go to work. I like to sit at my kitchen table that is nestled beside a big window and look out into our yard and just think. Being busy and productive is slightly over-rated in my book. I'd much rather ponder if birds understand each other's chirps or if the Mona Lisa really was da Vinci's face. Kidding. But I do look outside and wonder what my loved ones are doing at this exact moment.

While most of the trees are dead and crumbling, the snow has freshly fallen. It's the ultimate oxymoron. My yard is dead yet alive with the glimmer of hope that spring is on it's way. To a southern girl, who rarely ever got any snowfall, the white blankets are still magical. It's as if anything could happen, the world is my playground. Today, I sit here and wonder, what are my friends up to? Some of you are working, some of you are walking around campus enjoying the warm weather, and some of you are probably cat napping. Then I wonder where each family member is. What are they thinking right now? Do they know how much I wish I could see them? I feel a million miles away right now.

As I type, tears are forming. They're not happy, but not sad either. Just indifferent. I love life up here with my husband and new puppy, but I'd give almost anything for a knock on the door from someone who knows me, someone who misses me, too.

I look outside, though and no one is there. I'm just surrounded by the tall, skinny pine trees that have come to be characteristic of my home here. Pretty soon they'll green up, the grass will reveal itself once more, and I'll be able to enjoy much, much longer days in the land of the Midnight Sun. My whole view outside this picture window will change, but one thing will remain--I sure wish my family could see it, too.

I miss you all.

4 comments:

kimbodarlin said...

Super Kace-Don't doubt for a minute that you are not missed by us all....Part of me feels like it has been forever since I have seen you but then, I cannot believe that Christmas was almost 3 months ago! Time is flying by and we are counting the days until we get word that your are heading back South. I am glad that Paige and Stephen are going to be able to make the trip to visit this summer. I love you and miss you....will try to Skype very soon. Mom

Adam said...

Kacy - I know we never really hung out or anything but we did talk. I want you to know that no matter what you are missed by many. You have a special light about ou Kacy that GOD has laid upon you. You are an amazing person and even though you look out and see no one. We all look outside and see you in everything. Hope you are enjoying life up there but we cant wait for you to come back home.

wanderingmenace said...

Hiya Kacy,
As someone who gets homesick from time to time, I've come up with a good way to handle those moments when I just miss the people that are closest to me. Sometimes when I'm having my morning coffee and its just my dog and I, I pick someone I miss and handwrite them a letter. It puts a smile on my face to know that they are going to receive an old-fashioned letter from me in a few days. Plus, its always great when they call to thank me after receiving it. I recommend it. We don't send snailmail enough anymore.
Good Luck.

Laura Weigle said...

Kacy, You have a wonderful writing ability to make people feel like they are there with you experiencing all that your going through...what a gift! My heart is breaking for you as you miss all your loved ones, and the days are soooo long while Jordan works. I can't make it better but I would if I could. If I win the lottery I will send you a ticket to come home for a visit. Kacy I'm so enjoying your comments about my son and how he is complete with you. Thank-you for sharing all these nice comments about his kindness and considerate side. After he went to Ranger school both his Dad and I commented, what happened to our sweet thoughtful son? You've brought that out of him again and that is his true personality! Thank-you Love Ya

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings