Monday, March 8, 2010

My weekend in 805 words or less

This past weekend had its ups and downs, but overall I can't complain. Friday we had plans to go to a farewell party for a friend of a friend. All of their parties are themed and since the theme this go round was "redneck", we knew we'd fit right in. We put on our flannel and I tamed my hair into pigtails and we laid down on the couch to rest awhile before we headed out. Fast foward to a few hours later: Yawns and stretches, a glance at the clock, the realization that we are that married couple that falls asleep on a Friday night. Oh well.

Saturday I woke up to a pretty wretched dream, as you probably already know if you keep up with my blog. After having a laid back morning with Drifter, J and I walked into the laundry room to find it completely flooded. We weren't sure what had happened so we cleaned it up and set out on our way to the Upper Chena River to test out our new snowshoes. We had a pretty good day. It was fairly warm so hiking around wasn't terribly uncomfortable. We took the dog with us, too. I think he enjoyed getting out and exploring around the area with us.



 Snow started pouring from the sky and covering the roads again so we headed back towards Fairbanks. We stopped at one of our favorite places to eat on the way home and enjoyed a drink at the bar. I had coffee and Bailey's, the perfect warm me up drink. While there, we met an Air Force guy who seemed to have traveled all over the world. He had been to a lot of the same places J and I visited while we were in New Zealand a couple of months ago. He was a pretty cool dude and interesting to talk to! He spoke of running marathons, climbing mountains, and other physcial tasks. All the while, he was sitting at a bar with a whiskey drink in hand and a cigarette in the other. I guess we've all got to pick and choose our vices! :)

We drove on home to our little cabin in the woods with the majority of the day still ahead of us. We planned on going to all you can eat crab night at one of our favorite spots, but when we checked out the laundry room for the second time, we knew that wouldn't be a possibility. We needed a plumber...fast! We finally found the leak that was spraying a big mist out into the room. There was and still is a crack in our water tank. We called the plumber to come out and check on it, but he said he couldn't get here until the next morning. This annoyed me to no end because I so enjoy attending church on Sunday mornings. Anyway, I picked up a pizza while J rigged a bucket to catch all the water that flowed from the duct tape covering the crack. Fun fact: Did you know Wasilla, home of Sarah Palin, is the duct tape capitol of the world? They deemed this name appropriate because the Wasilla Walmart has the most duct tape sales out of anywhere else in the world.

We awoke the next morning and waited for the call from the plumber. And we waited and we waited. Church was looking less and less likely with every minute that passed. Captain J gave him a call and he said he was in North Pole, but he was on his way. Finally, he arrives and in five minutes he was gone again. Guess what? I still have a bucket catching the water that wastes away to the floor of the laundry room. We might as well take a couple hundred dollars and use it as kindling for the fire. It's basically the same thing. Grr.

Yesterday wasn't all bad, though. J, nominated for best husband of the year award, decided we could dedicate the day to setting up my craft room. The extra bedrooms in our house aren't being used for anything besides storage for the masses of Army gear he has aquired over the years so he allowed me a space where I could work on my scrapbooks and cards. We went to Walmart  (I swear, Walmart didn't pay me to mention them so many times) and found several organaziational items, a table, and chair to outfit my new space. I spent the next few hours scrapping our fishing trip back in September. Check out my little crafting area:



While I was in creative bliss, Jordan was hard at work in the kitchen preparing a candle lit dinner of lamb, rice, and veggies for the two of us. I'm so blessed to have him!



Blessings,
Mrs. K

2 comments:

Aunt Susie said...

Love your scrapbooking space but I was wondering: Where's the circuit? Tell Jordan he can cook lamb for me anytime. Uncle Bill will not touch the stuff. Is snow shoeing harder than cross country sking?

I spent the weekend scrapbooking. Friday evening and all day Saturday our church sponsored a scrapbooking event. There were a total of 22 women coming and going, wish you were one of them. Love you...miss you!

kacysue said...

That sounds fun! Wish I could've been there, too. I guess the cricut will have to wait awhile. Nope, snowshoeing is pretty easy. It's basically just hiking.
Love and miss you!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings