Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Try it out Tuesday


"...I thank you that I have a wonderful family to come home to..."



When my husband uttered these words while praying just before dinner tonight, I silently rejoiced in my heart because somewhere deep, down I always wanted this. I can't describe to you how much that I never believed I would be truly happy. Until I met Captain J (as my Mimi sometimes says (Before J) "BJ"), I simply believed I'd settle down with a really good guy friend, marry him, and just live a life of mediocrity. That notion changed dramatically when J walked into my life. I'm so incredibly grateful. To this day, I have no idea why God chose to bless me so fully but I'm so thankful He did.


We had a nice dinner tonight. Earlier I told you I might attempt some new recipes. Well, I did just that.  And can I just say: This girl can cook and bake!



Watch out, cooking channel! You could totally have a new star! Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a teeny, tiny bit, but I was rather proud of my accomplishments in the kitchen today. It's as I told Captain J earlier, I know I can cook if I have ingredients, directions, etc. I just also am very aware that I'll probably never be able to go into the kitchen and eye ball measurements and assess whether ketchup goes with pepper sprouts. Apparently, I didn't get that gene. Anyway, two people that did have that very characteristic entertwined in their DNA are my mother and my mother-in-law. These two women are the reason why my dear husband is sitting on the love seat, reading a book, with his belly full. Without further ado, here are some photos and recipes for your enjoyment:


Main Dish: A Meat Marinade


I used chicken, but Laura used steaks. It has an Asian taste to it. Here's what you'll need-





  • 3/4 cup canola or olive oil


  • 1/2 cup soy sauce


  • 2 cloves garlic minced


  • 1-2 tsp grated fresh ginger or dry spice


  • 2 tbsp honey


  • green onions scallions sliced


Because I lacked time, I only let the chicken marinate for around 45 minutes and that worked well for me. After soaking the chicken, I added it to the skillet/pan for a stir fry type meal.



Let it sizzle and let the yummy fragrance fill the air and VOILA!



Dinner is served! As you can see I prepared rice and some bread to accompany it. Pretty good little meal.


For dessert, I succeeded in making apple dumplins. Mmmm mmmm. This recipe was orignially from someone else in the fam who then passed it on to Mom who then passed it on to moi. It is so easy. Honestly, if you can follow directions you can make this dessert. Here's what you'll need-





  • two granny smith apples


  • two crescent roll packages


  • 1 cup sugar (or a little more ;) )


  • 1/2 a stick of butter


  • can of Mt. Dew (I used diet)


  • Cinnamon to taste


Directions: Cut the apples into 8 slices. Roll apple slices into crescent rolls. Mix butter, sugar, and cinnamon- Melt it. Pour it over the apples then pour in 12 oz of Mt. Dew. Bake at 450 degrees for 45 min. Sooo tasty!


Before:



After:



We enjoyed both recipes so thanks Mom and Laura! I'd also like to include a link to Cait's page because she always has something creative or uplifting to blog about and just the other day she posted a similar apple dumpling recipe which can be found HERE. Her directions and pictures are much more descriptive so if you want to try it, be sure to stop by her page for more information.


Bon Appetite!


 

5 comments:

Page said...

I cannot EVER imagine a life in which you would life in mediocrity. That just is not your style!! :)

Laura Weigle said...

You go girl with your cooking , I'm proud of you!!! Can I be a guest on your cooking show? Love Mom W. PS Those dumplings looked awful scrumptious, I think I'm going to try them this weekend.

Wierenga said...

Mmmmmm....Mountain Dew. Now that's MY kind of a recipe!

kacysue said...

Page, you are too kind :)

Laura, Of course you can be my guest. haha :) The dumplings were so good we had them for breakfast this morning, too!

kacysue said...

Nicole-- come over and get em while you can! They're goin' fast. Are you coming over tomorrow?

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings