Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lacin' Up My Work(out) Boots

Something bizarre is going on here.

I have worked out for the past two days in a row. HARD. Usually (or not so usually) I might go for a run, a very short and slow run. But lately? I've been pushing myself and it feels good.

I'm not much of a fan of running until the activity is over and done with for the day and I can look back on my accomplishment and be proud of it. Yesterday, I got chased by a dog, tripped up by another one, and some sort of weird heat rash on the tops of my legs, yet when I was done, I felt so good. It's amazing what a little running can do to my self-esteem.

I've been feeling down about my body recently. While my pre-pregnancy clothes do fit, there's just something about myself that I haven't liked as of late. Maybe it's that weird line near my belly button that still hasn't gone away? Maybe it's the love handles? Maybe every time I look in the mirror I'm scared that I look old. Anyway, after just a couple days of working out, I'm starting to feel like myself again.

When I stopped breastfeeding, I gained weight really quickly. Eek!

I'm happy to report that in the last two days, I've lost 5 lbs! I'd like to shed ten more but that will probably take awhile.

How have I done it? Well, I had to get creative really...

Since I find running quite boring most days, I wanted to find a way to burn some more calories without leaving the house. It was my backyard that fixed my problem for me! We've been doing a lot of digging (by hand) as of late. And by "we", I mean Captain J! ;) We're putting in a garden. Anyway, yesterday I shoveled the excess soil into a wheelbarrow and carted it around the yard A LOT! Back and forth. Back and forth. It wasn't boring because I was actually helping out a lot. It felt good to work (and work out!).





The day before that, I used materials in the shed that we had used to build a dog run in the back of our yard. Rolled up fencing wire was really useful. I used it for doing lunges, curls, and such.

I probably looked like an idiot doing exercises in the back yard and running around back there, but oh well. I don't mind looking dumb for short amounts of time.

On a related note, I need new running shoes. Any suggestions? I've never found a pair that don't blister my feet after 6 miles.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I don't know what types of running stores are in your area, but some shoe stores have these machines that can measure your gait and where you put pressure and such, and then they can recommend a perfect shoe just for you. Might be worth looking into if you're a serious runner! :)

What are y'all planting in your garden?? I so want to have a garden but I have quite the black thumb. Maybe I can get some pointers from ya.

And good for you for getting out and exercising! It brings you that natural high. :) And you know, yardwork DEFINITELY counts as exercise! Lifting, bending, squatting, walking, sweating- it all counts! :)

Sheena Zarb said...

Oh I am no good in that running shoe area due my flat feet! Way to go on the workout I need to hop back on my bike and get on butt into shape!

Brittany said...

Hey girl! I would suggest going to a running store that is reputable and letting them fit you for shoes. If you go back home, I would go to Runner's World in Knoxville. I'm not sure what is around you. If you don't have the correct shoes, you can get some bad knee pain! Trust me on this... I know!

I also know some fantastic workout videos if you are interested! I can't run now because of my knee, and I get bored very easily. I have found a couple of videos that are great and not boring at all.

You are beautiful regardless of how you feel!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings