Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Leave me alone!"

I absolutely love Reality TV. It allows glimpses into the day-to-day grind that other people experience, all from the comfort of my couch where I can harbor judgment for the people who are paid to do nothing. But honestly? I doubt there's enough money in the world that would make me agree to participate in a reality show. Everyone in your biz like that? No, thanks.


MTV gets a bad rap for glamorizing Teen Pregnancy with their shows 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom. Clearly, the people who are saying these things have never watched these shows.



Because from my comfy couch, their lives look pretty darn hard to me. Sure, they've agreed to document this time in their lives for all the world to see in exchange for money. It's a business deal and probably a pretty smart one, too. Teenagers aren't among the wealthiest people in the world and with a new addition in their lives, they're probably searching for any little way they can add to their income. It may look easy, but I'd venture to bet that it sucks on most days.


People are so mean to these girls- tweeting them, leaving IG comments saying they're ugly, stupid, slutty, and even going as far as to criticize their small children! These girls are so young. They are constantly learning more about themselves. They screw up, just like everyone else. The difference is that anyone can sit at their couch and make these judgments without ever stepping foot into their shoes.


I think about what I was like at 19 and how people would probably have a lot to say about me, too if my life had been broadcasted all over the t.v., Internet, and tabloids. I was Chelsea, for sure. I kept going back to my ex who had cheated on me almost constantly throughout our relationship. And the resemblances don't stop there as I could probably relate to almost all of these young moms in some form or fashion.


Real talk.


So, when I watch these silly shows, I don't think the girls are glamorized much at all. In fact, I think I watch it and think, "Wow. It can always be worse." Because when the baby is teething and being uber cranky, my husband is in the field and I'm parenting alone, or when the proverbial rain is all over my parade, I realize I could be a child and have a child. Eek. These girls are making huge decisons at 18 that I wasn't thinking about until I was 25. At their age, I was contemplating whether I should go to my 8:15am class or stay in my dorm all day and watch FRIENDS.


So when Jenelle freaks out on almost every episode and screams, "LEAVE ME ALOOOOOONE." I kind of get it. I would want to be left alone, too. Why do you think it is that total strangers get so involved in the lives of celebrities? Enough so that they would take time out of their day to leave words of malice all over their Twitter feeds and Facebook walls? Or what's even more annoying (to me)- begging for a retweet from someone famous on Twitter. I don't get it.


On my blog, I have the luxury of getting to choose what I share with the world and I'm thankful for that. While so-called reality tv may be addictive to the rest of us, I can't imagine actually having to be a part of something like that. It's not glamourous from my spot on the couch- it looks like it sucks.


Please tell me I'm not the only mid-to-late 20's gal who tunes in every Tuesday!


6 comments:

Jennifer M said...

Count me in... I watch it when I can stay up late enough :)

Tryna said...

Worse...I'm an (almost) mid-30's gal tuning in. It's my TV junk food fix.

Mrs. K said...

I have to watch it during the day because it annoys J to no end! ha

Mrs. K said...

You don't look a day over 22! You're good :)

Karen said...

I love Teen Mom. It's one of my guilty pleasures. And I don't think that it's glamorizing teen pregnancy at all - most of those girls have it really tough and aren't always happy - it shows everything about pregnancy - the good and the bad.

Mrs. K said...

Yeah- pretty sure I wouldn't want to trade positions with them for anything in the world.

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings