Monday, February 27, 2012

Seasons

I just meticulously unwrapped the foil from my lingering Valentine's Day Dove, carefully so as not to rip the message that was waiting for me inside. It read, "Express what's in your heart." And I just don't know that I can.

Today was a good day.

I spent the first part of my day somewhat bitter. It's so easy for me to only walk in my shoes- to not consider someone else's point of view. How awful when that person I'm not considering is the other half of me, my husband.

Captain J has been working as much as he used to work in Alaska (and more). If he comes home, he doesn't get here until around nine. The baby is in bed at that point and I'm finally able to allow myself to rest a little. Some nights, he doesn't come home at all. I start to slip into the attitude that I raise our child, I know what's best, and I'm making all the decisions when it comes to him. I feel like a single parent.

The military wife often plays this role when her husband is away. The only thing that is different is that she knows it's temporary and sometimes, if she's lucky, there's an end in sight.

I've stopped looking for that end. I'm starting to enjoy more and more every day, the time I get with Baby K. Sure, I'm sad that we can't experience his morning laughter together or his afternoon cuddly moments. I hate that Captain J misses feeding time because of the cute way K looks like a baby bird when he opens his mouth for the vegetable of the day.

My husband, the soldier- he misses so much.

I don't want to be annoyed when he's gone so much. I want to focus on the good.

Like pretty weeds.

 And watching the interest on my child's face as he discovers pine cones.



Strolling through the backyard,



picking flowers for Daddy.



There's beauty in all seasons.



And in this season of my life, I'm going to focus on the beautiful. To me, that means getting to watch my son grow up right before my eyes. I'm the luckiest woman in the world to have such a wonderful boy- not to mention, a husband who works very hard so that we can experience moments like these.

I love my boys.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh man. I hit that hump recently too. I was so ticked that *I* was doing ALL the work, ALL the childcare, and his promises of being home at a certain time were always overruled by someone bringing something up at the last minute. I was getting so frustrated. But finally I read a post by this lovely lady (http://toloveasoldier.blogspot.com/2012/01/preparing-for-mission.html) and it pretty much changed my perspective. I'm now just trying to soak up the precious little time I do have with this tiny person that I have the pleasure of raising and enjoying the (very little) time the three of us have together as a family. :) I know it's tough, but you're doing great. :)

Megan Williams - TLAS said...

Well, Jennifer! THANK YOU FOR SHARING!! That made my day! Mrs. K! Thank you for following over and commenting! I talk all the time about "finding the good". Sometimes it is so very hard. C - my husband - returns to me after one month away late this afternoon only to go into the field for a week twelve hours later. Today is one of those days that isn't easy.

I find so much joy in my children on days like today. I am glad you have found that too. : )

Sheena Zarb said...

How funny is that. I guess great minds think a like :)

Mrs. K said...

@Jennifer- Thanks for posting and for the sweet words :)
@Megan- It's THE WORST when they have to leave so soon after they return. I'm sorry :/ I hope you have a good day today!

Megan Williams - TLAS said...

THANKS, Mrs K!!

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings