Wednesday, March 13, 2013

It's not over

Just because Captain J is out of the Army, it doesn't mean we can all slip happily back into that space where war doesn't exist. We can't be like the countless other Americans who don't know anyone "over there" and we definitely won't ever be someone who doesn't think about the Middle East every single day. When you've been a part of this community of warriors for so long, they become etched into your mind. Each duty station, each new city you come to, you meet someone who will likely be serving overseas while you sit at home enjoying your family and a good burger one hot, July Independence Day.
It's our turn again. In the above photo, Captain J is swearing his younger brother into the U.S. Army. Now, his little brother is in Afghanistan. While I'm so glad Captain J will likely not return to a war zone, it's not over. I ask for your prayers of protection over Uncle Jesse as he does his job. We want to get him home soon so he can meet his latest nephew!

I'm out of practice. What sorts of items do you include in care packages to soldiers in Afghanistan?

Linked Up Here:

17 comments:

Jen said...

Praying for Jesse! God Bless him! I sent stuff like beef jerky, sunflower seeds, oh and cake in a jar is a huge hit. :)

Anonymous said...

Praying for him! It was the same when my husband got out of the Marines.. even though he was out we still had tons of friends getting ready to go over there, his best friend, and my older brother, just got back not too long ago. The worry never goes away!

Lisa C said...

I would send packaged candies and baked goods. Rice Krispie treats make great (and edible) packing material.

Jamie said...

Oh wow. It is definitely not over for your family. Sending positive thoughts his way.

Niken said...

send my prayer for Jesse. hope he's home safe and sound and sooner than later.

Karen said...

Sending prayers for Jesse (and for your entire fam too). As far as care packages go, while I never sent any for Paul (because we were blessed that he's never had to go overseas) we send them to lots of family friends. We tried to do theme boxes, like an Easter theme or Spring or 4th of July (well we did Canada Day lol). I always added candy, chewing gum, mints, baking, crossword and sudoko books, magazines, stuff like that. Hope those ideas help :)

Anonymous said...

Praying for Jesse!!

Jenn said...

Of course we will keep uncle Jesse in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Lots of prayers for your family.

Angie said...

Positive thoughts for your brother-in-law!

I would send themed packages for the month. Example is September I sent stuff you would have while watching a football game. Jerky, nachos, chips/pretzels, buffalo wing flavored pringles. Movie night box had popcorn, movies, my husband's favorite candy. The boredom box had magazines, balloons for water balloon fights, crossword puzzles...etc.

Kathryn B said...

Sending prayers! I liked sending wipes, wisps (little disposable toothbrushes) candy, and snack goods. Just a few ideas :)

Fran said...

Will keep Jesse in my thoughts! <3

KTJ said...

I'll be sending prayers! I can't imagine what it might be like to have someone so close to you serving so far away! Thinking of your family and all the others serving our country.

Jenn said...

Praying for Jesse!! I like to include individual wipes, new toothbrush, loofah (is that feminine? I think they're great), body wash, and powdered versions of favorite drinks. Also fun to stick a gag gift in there. ;)

Angie said...

Sending all my love and prayers to your family. May God be with Jesse and bring him home safely.

Kristin said...

Oh, it never really ends, does it?

I sent a lot of "new" stuff. Like birthday cake Oreos. Honestly though, Scott ordered whatever he wanted on Amazon and it got to Afghanistan faster than it would get to Alaska.

Keeping your family in my thoughts! It's such a rough time :(

Kate @ Daffodils said...

Sending prayers! We always send magazines, game books, comics, candy ect

Post a Comment

I know you've got something to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Freeborboleta Desings